We understand Servas host and traveler concerns surrounding coronavirus and its potential impact on travel plans. The safety of our Servas community is our highest priority.
We recommend closely watching the travel advisories from the IFRC (International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies) and updates from the World Health Organization, as well as your local authorities, who may have stricter recommendations or mandates than the ones shown below.
- Wash your hands often (for a minimum of 20 seconds).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid large gatherings of greater than 10 people.
- Maintain a distance of 6 feet/2 meters to anyone coughing or sneezing.
- Stay home if you feel ill or have a fever or cough.
- If you have a fever, cough, and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early, call the emergency lines and avoid going to the hospital, unless taking all necessary precautions.
- Follow directions and advice from local health authorities.
- Stay up-to-date with the World Health Organization and CDC guidelines (https://www.cdc.gov/).
Servas International is advising that members:
- Avoid traveling, for the time being
- Stay up-to-date with the local health advisories in the communities in which you are travelling.
- Notify your hosts as soon as possible if you have to cancel your travel plans.
- Notify travelers as soon as possible if you are no longer able to host.
- Have a back-up plan if your host is unable or unwilling to host you.
This is a rapidly evolving situation and travel plans can change at any time. This can include airlines cancelling flights and cities enforcing quarantines. Be prepared, check ahead of time, and take extra precautions in case your travel plans may be affected.
Ways to remain active with Servas while #socialdistancing:
- Host virtual happy hours with Servas friends to bolster human connection.
- Plan a future Servas Experience1 in your local community.
- Send your works of art to Jean Luc for the Servas Artist exhibition at the Samara State Institute of Culture this spring. More information on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/22129892680/permalink/10156901168627681/ and on the website: https://servas.org/en/news/servas-artists-needed
- Catch up on the US Servas Open Doors newsletter and on www.servas.org.
- Consider volunteering for Servas
- Contribute financially to peace initiatives.
Recommendations by US Servas and Servas International
1) A Servas Experience is when a member invites other member(s) for an activity like visiting museums, joining a concert, a guided tour to a typical restaurant, trekking, a boat tour or something else.
World Health Organization (WHO) https://www.who.int/
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Cross Societies (IFRC) https://media.ifrc.org/ifrc/